ANNOUNCEMENT and CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS
The ArtEZ Fashion Professorship and the Centre of Expertise Future Makers are pleased to announce that the conference
Fashion Colloquium: Searching for the New Luxury
will take place on May 31 and June 1, 2018 in Arnhem, The Netherlands.
Conference organiser: ArtEZ University of the Arts, in collaboration with State of Fashion
Academic partners: Wageningen University & Research, Radboud University Nijmegen
It is increasingly urgent to create interventions in the current fashion system and to redefine its meaning and relevance. The ‘Fashion Colloquium: Searching for the New Luxury’ will explore how to transition to a more resilient, inclusive and regenerative future of fashion, and are looking for contributions that challenge our perceptions – that move our field forward.
The world needs imagination and experimentation in order to develop a new kind of aesthetics and connectivity. We need more critical fashion practices and critical theories to “fashion” a more ethical, inclusive and responsible reality. The ‘Fashion Colloquium: Searching for the New Luxury’ underlines the importance of redefining value systems – starting from our own fundamental human values.
Contributions related to the following subthemes are welcomed:
- New materials, living materials, biomimicry, biotechnologies
- Strategies to design for closed loops; innovation, novel business models and different types of value chains
- Emotional connectivity, aesthetic sustainability, emotional durability
- The role of purpose in moving beyond economic value, towards human values, ethical values, emotional values, social values and cultural values
- The importance of agency; embodied subjectivity, ethical subjectivity and material agency
- Developing a new kind of aesthetics, with a special role for all the senses
- Fashion’s power to create desire and imaginary worlds in order to transition into a more regenerative future society
- The role of resilience in fashion and design
- Other innovations that challenge our understanding of ‘new luxury’
Please find the link to the formal Announcement and Call for Contributions here.
The organisers invite both academic abstracts and proposals for creative practice contributions.
If you have any questions, please contact the conference organisers at FashionColloquium@artez.nl.
Location of the event:
State of Fashion
Bovenbeekstraat 21, Arnhem