Saint-Etienne Metropolis is the second largest metropolis in the Rhône-Alpes Region, at 500 km from Paris (2h40 by train), in the heart of an urban area with a population of 500 000 inhabitants (45 townships of the Metropolis). Pioneer city of the industrial era, it had to transform and the main economic activities are now oriented towards services and centers of excellence (optical and mechanical engineering, medical technology, higher education and design). With 20 000 companies, amongst which 11 000 SMEs, it is the biggest concentration of SME’s in France. Saint-Etienne is a UNESCO Creative City of Design since 2010.
The Cité du design is a Public Institution of Cultural Cooperation (EPCC) Cité du design – Higher School of Art and Design. Since January 2010, the Cité du design and the Saint-Etienne Higher School of Art and Design, are on the same site, the former Arms Manufacture of Saint-Etienne, which is a creative district.
It is a platform of higher education, research, economic development and promotion of art and de-sign. The principal missions of the Cité du design are:
- Raising of public awareness of design
- Development of innovation through design, and expertise in innovation through uses
- Design research
- Organization of major events such as the International Biennial of Design of Saint-Etienne, or annual exhibitions both in Saint-Etienne and abroad.
- Isabelle VERILHAC, Head of Business and Innovation Department, Cité du design, Saint-Etienne, Tél. +33(0)4 77 49 31 95, Mob. +33(0)6 15 68 04 83, E-mail : Isabelle.VERILHAC@citedudesign.com
- Sybille DITERICH, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Region in Brussels, Tél.: +32(0)2 282 00 20, E-mail: email@example.com